Many elements of this course will be peer-taught. Homework assignments will include researching and preparing information that you will teach to your peers at the next meeting:
- Presentations will be short (5-10 minutes), but should be more than just your “talking head;” please include something visual like a handout, poster, powerpoint, etc.
- Please note that if you neglect to prepare for your presentation, not only do you not complete this requirement, but everyone who was planning to listen to you does not complete this requirement
Teaching is required of all Venturing advancement (requirement #11 for the Physical Fitness elective). Being able to “explain” points related to personal fitness is in virtually all of the Boy Scout requirements for this badge.
Scout Teaching Schedule
2014 Fitness Boy Scout Merit Badge and Venturing Elective
Tuesdays at 6:30 pm
- Please prepare a talk of NO MORE than 8 minutes on the following topics.
- Please also prepare some kind of handout to give to the other 9 Scouts
- If you are unable to teach the date you are assigned, please arrange a swap and notify Dr. Holmes
|4||Mar 4||Heart Disease||Tal|
|High Blood Pressure and Diabetes||Henry|
|Cancer: Major Causes & 7 Warning Signs||Maddy|
|Anorexia & bulimia||Dante|
|6||Mar 18||USDA Food MyPyramid and MyPlate||Gabe|
|Alternative food pyramids, Harvard & others||Casey|
|10||Apr 15||Injury prevention of head and eyes||Casey|
|Overuse syndromes (shin splints, carpal tunnel)||Keven|
|Sleep needs & sleep hygiene||Lixing|
|11||Apr 29||Fitness careers: personal trainer||Tal|
|Fitness careers: dietician||Henry|
|Fitness careers: physical therapist||Maddy|
|Fitness careers: coach||Nick|